As I visit with my six-year-old nephew Will, I’ve been thinking about how many of us adults get quieter as we get older. Here are six ways Will gets loud that I intend to emulate when I return to North Carolina:
1. He insists we sing together at the table before eating.
2. He doesn’t mind where he finishes in track races.
3. He assigns himself time-outs as necessary.
4. He prefers running around the house naked rather than with clothes on.
5. He practices guitar without being reminded.
6. He tells everyone in the house he loves them before going to bed.